The architecture ot the church contains both Byzantine and Gothic elements, and some elements typical to other painted churches of northern Moldavia. Both interior and exterior walls are covered by mural paintings, which are of great artistic value and depict biblical episodes from the Old and New Testament. The paintings date from around 1601, which makes Sucevița one of the last monasteries to be decorated in the famous Moldavian style of exterior paintings. [excerpt from Wikipedia].
Turnul Sfatului at dusk, Sibiu, Romania.
The actual painting of the icons followed a procedure which is most accurately rendered by the German word Hinterglasmalerei, i.e. the icon is painted under the glass rather than on it. In fact, the icon is painted on what in the finished work will be the reverse of the glass panel (usually hand-made by local artisans), while the side that will be exposed to the eye of the viewer acts as a protective layer for the painting. This procedure requires that the design be applied in reverse so that when viewed from the other side it will appear in its correct contours. In a first phase the main outlines of the icon were drawn with a soft brush. The next stage was the colouring of the figures and the background; in particular cases and in some regions, use was made of small films of gold or silver colour which created special effects of light and gradation of colour. When finished, the painting was given a coating of varnish to protect it from humidity and then it was framed, a panel, usually of spruce, being added behind for additional protection. [excerpt from http://www.sibiel.net/Iconesuvetro_EN.html%5D
The Dragomirna Monastery was built during the first three decades of the 17th century, 15 km from Suceava, in Mitocu Dragomirnei commune. It is the tallest medieval monastery in Bucovina and renowned in Orthodox architecture for its unique proportions and intricate details, mostly carved into stone. It lies among forested hills of fir and oak. The history of the monastery started in 1602, when the small church in the graveyard was built and dedicated to Saints Enoch, Elijah and John the Theologian. [excerpt from Wikipedia]